Friday, February 17, 2012

Reaction to the Verdict

This Mock Trial has been another project of my two year long Provenzano experience. As a lawyer for the prosecution of this trial, I had prep work and research to do, write and present the opening statement, direct and cross examine witnesses, and deal with the defense and Mr. Twain gloating over their not guilty verdict. 

After getting my Urgent Memo from District Attorney Provenzano telling me that I was a lawyer for the prosecution, I complained, to everyone. I did not want to be a prosecution lawyer, because I didn't and don't believe that Mark Twain was racist. The first step for me was to just make myself believe that Mr. Twain was racist. After I begrudgingly reached that goal, I had to plan a way to prove he was racist. I stressed myself out, because I didn't really know what to do on my own. Luckily, I did after working with my fellow lawyers as well as talking about my findings and ideas with Mr. Pro. I also researched Mark Twain's life, looking for evidence to prove he was racist and  writing from his racist experience. The strongest evidence I found against Mark Twain was that he volunteered in the Civil War on the side of the Civil Army. Later on, this evidence proved to be useful. I was also in charge of writing the opening statement.  I knew that this was our chance to make a lasting and strong impression, and I was extremely nervous.


After writing the opening statement, it was time to present it. I was the opening to the opening, the very first part of the trial. Everyone was fully focused as it was the beginning of our project, so I felt the need for it to be perfect. Unfortunately, my nerves got to me, and I became a jumble of nerves. My presentation did not go as well as I planned. The direct examining went much smoother, and I felt in control. The other prosecution lawyers and I had chosen who we were going to question and cross examine, so we had a chance to practice with our own witnesses beforehand. I questioned Jim, and did a fairly good job of it. The greatest fun I had during the whole trial was cross examining Mark Twain. That moment counted the most for our argument, and I thought I was making strong and obvious points. However, the Jury didn't believe so.


The Jury decided that Mr. Twain was not guilty of being a racist. Although I was a bit bummed that we didn't convince the majority of the Jury well enough to listen to us, we did convince a few. However, I totally agree with the verdict the Jury reached. Although I felt that the Prosecution did an amazing job, I believe that the Defense just overall had and easier case, and they were on their game. They made points that were more straightforward and obvious, and didn't have as a roundabout way of bringing their evidence together to a close. 

No comments:

Post a Comment