Wednesday, November 16, 2011

My Transcendentalist T-Shirt!

            When making my Transcendentalist T-Shirt, the only thing I was worried about was the aesthetics of it. I am a design and color oriented person and excel in most art forms. I also am cursed/blessed with being a perfectionist.  So, as I put the felt tip of my permanent marker to the white cotton fabric, I immediately regretted it.  I then took more time to create a foolproof plan. I wrote down my ideas in advance, picked out acceptable colors, and then came up with a design. After I finished, my fingers locked up and carpal tunnel acting up, it looked a little something like this:
At school, at lunch, the backside, and a messed up Shaka.
The things I fretted about most after I completed it were the few mistakes and misspellings I made. I begged that no one would catch on.

As the day wore on, things got a little uncomfortable. The T-Shirt caught everyone’s eyes: classmates, friends, random people, teachers, and administrators, and I got much unwanted attention (I get enough already!). Everyone wanted to know what was going on, what it was for, and wanted to read everything on it. Their questions and my answers quickly became repetitive. I recall that in a particular hour, Photo, I believe, my friends actually made me stand up, and slowly twirl around in a circle so they could see everything.  However, I loved the fact that people were learning things about me. Even some of my closet friends learned new things about me that day. In the end, it was a great idea, and I had a lot of fun participating in this.

No comments:

Post a Comment